Making healthy choices when eating out can be challenging, but there are a few tips that can help:
1. Plan ahead: Check the restaurant’s menu online before you go and choose dishes that are healthy and fit within your dietary preferences or restrictions.
2. Choose grilled, baked, or broiled options: These cooking methods tend to be healthier than fried foods, which are often high in unhealthy fats and calories.
3. Look for vegetable-based dishes: Choosing dishes that are primarily made up of vegetables or that feature vegetables as a side dish can be a great way to get in your daily servings of veggies.
4. Ask for substitutions: Don’t be afraid to ask for substitutions or modifications to your order, such as swapping out fries for a side salad or asking for sauce on the side.
5. Watch portion sizes: Restaurant portions can often be larger than what you need, so consider splitting an entree with a friend or taking home leftovers.
6. Limit alcohol and sugary drinks: Alcoholic beverages and sugary drinks can be high in calories and can also dehydrate you, so try to limit your intake or choose water or unsweetened tea instead.
7. Don’t skip meals: If you know you’ll be eating out later in the day, don’t skip meals earlier in the day. Skipping meals can lead to overeating later on.
By following these tips, you can make healthier choices when eating out and still enjoy the experience of dining out with friends and family.